American Bladesmith Society Forum: Spring Piney Woods Hammer In - American Bladesmith Society Forum

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spring Piney Woods Hammer In Washington, Arkansas - April 28 and 29, 2012

#1 User is offline   Dan Cassidy 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationColorado Rockies
  • ABS Rating:Journeyman Smith

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

Spring Piney Woods Hammer In
April 28 and 29, 2012

Offered by the American Bladesmith Society, Inc.

Dates:
April 28 and 29, 2012

Texarkana College
Washington, Arkansas

Directions: Google Maps

Information Contact:
B.R. Hughes at (903) 838-0134 for more information or email billrhughes@cableone.net

Registration Fee:
Pre-Register and pay the $55 Registration fee Online in the Store
or contact Cindy Sheely, ABS Store Manager at store@americanbladesmith.com or (419) 832-0400

Demonstrators:

Kevin Cashen, Master Smith - Michigan
-
Classic European Quillon Daggers
- Advanced Heat Treating Concepts
- A Systematic Approach to Steel Selection

J. R. Cook, Master Smith - Arkansas
-
Acid Engraving Techniques
- Cutting Competition Judge

Mike Williams, Master Smith - Oklahoma
- Cutting Competion Judge
- Handles and Guards Techniques
- ABS Judging Standards for Master Smith and Journeyman Smith

BR Hughes, Founder - Texas
- ABS Judging Standards for Master Smith and Journeyman Smith

Dr. James Batson, Master Smith - Alabama
- Bowie Knives

In addition there will be instruction on blade forging, grinding and polishing.

*** Please note that if an attendee pays the registration fee by noon on Saturday of the event, their name will be placed in a drawing for a Master Smith J. R. Cook handmade hunting knife. So please register early! ***

Events Schedule:
TBA

Hotels:
Holiday Inn Express, 2600 North Hervey Street, Hope, AR 71801, (870) 722-6262
Best Western, 1800 Holiday Drive, Hope, Arkansas 71801-2510, (870) 777-9222

Special Events:
Knife Show and Auction- Saturday afternoon
Cutting Demonstration - Sunday afternoon

Dan Cassidy
ABS Webmaster and Forum Administrator

Send an email to Dan

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Cheyenne Walker 

• Advanced Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationHot Springs, AR.
  • ABS Rating:Apprentice Smith

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Are we allowed to video the demonstrators? My memory isn't as good as it used to be. :)
Cheyenne Walker
Apprentice Smith

#3 User is offline   Dan Cassidy 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Yes, it should not be a problem but please ask each of the demonstrators first as a matter of courtesy.

Also I am receiving information about the event and the demonstrations as planning continues for the event and will keep everyone updated as I receive new information. It appears that there will be both advanced and beginner level demonstrations.

Dan Cassidy

Send an email to Dan

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   BrionTomberlin 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationNorman, Oklahoma
  • ABS Rating:Master Smith

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

I am going to be there. Sounds like a great one. Also should anybody be considering going for JS or MS in Atlanta this is great opportunity to have your knives looked at by a number of Master Smiths before the Blade show. Plus it gives you some time for fixing problems.
Brion
Brion Tomberlin
Anvil Top Custom Knives
ABS Mastersmith

#5 User is offline   Mike Williams 

• Advanced Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationBroken Bow, Oklahoma

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

It's almost spring again. The Piney Woods Hammer-In is coming up pretty soon. Anyone who can make it for even a day; it is well worth it.
For those who are on the trail of a js or MS stamp it is almost a must. It is a rare chance to get a bunch of Mastersmiths to look over your work at the same time.
The critiqueing seminar tells you what we will be looking for in the judging room. This will give you an idea of some of the pitfalls that may await you.
It is also a great tool for beginning collectors in that it will allow them to look at prospective purchases with a more educated viewpoint.
The hanles and guards session will be about how we do it and why we do it that way.
Bring your questions and problem areas and we can go over in detail. The focus of this one will be to address the things that you need help on.
The cutting event is not only great fun but it will give you worlds of feedback on your choice of blade shape, edge geometry, heat treat and handle design. It is not really about who wins, but more to the point of we all get to see what really works on real world knives!
AND last but not least, J R Cook is kindly donating a knife to be drawn for by all paid attendees.
A fellow from Denmark won the drawing knife last fall.
Be there or be square.
Mike
Mike Williams
Master Smith

#6 User is offline   James Cook 

• New Forum Member
  • Pip
  • View gallery

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:45 AM

I will be showing acid engraving this spring.
Acid engraving is the oldest form of engraving and is still used today. It is something you can do with little expense and is not difficult.
I seen a knife this week from Brazil with acid engraving on the blade and it looked nice.
Come to the hammer-in and give it a try.
James R. Cook
Master Smith
jr@jrcookknives.com
www.jrcookknives.com

#7 User is offline   Kevin R. Cashen 

• Advanced Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationMatherton MI

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

View PostJames Cook, on 29 February 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

I will be showing acid engraving this spring.
Acid engraving is the oldest form of engraving and is still used today. It is something you can do with little expense and is not difficult.
I seen a knife this week from Brazil with acid engraving on the blade and it looked nice.
Come to the hammer-in and give it a try.

This sounds particularly interesting to me, I hope our lectures do not conflict. I have greatly expanded my dagger presentation for use in the few full dagger classes I have taught so it should offer something even to those who have seen it at past hammer-ins. I have also learned a few things on how other folks can more quickly get the hang of shaping these challenging blades.

I will be working up some images for the heat treating lecture, as always I am very shy of giving my speculation or conclusions about what "could" be happening inside the steel so this talk will include actual images from inside the steel to eliminate the guessing; there is nothing like just letting the steel speak for itself. Before I sit down at the metallograph folks have this unique opportunity to let me know what they may be most interested in seeing, or any specific heat treating questions they would like to see addressed. This would be very valuable to me since the last time time I did this talk, it was at the Mid-America and I had the luxury of bringing my microscope and video equipment so that we could slip in a sample to answer just about any question, this time around I am flying so I need to have prepared stuff since the microscope and the airlines don't get along too well. So please give you input folks.

I am particularly looking forward to the steel selection talk. I was given a choice on my third lecture and this was one of the suggestions I cam up with since it is one of the the top three sticking points for so many makers getting started, whether they realize it or not. Steel selection doesn't seem like a topic that could take up an entire talk but that is because it is rarely approached in a systematic way that allow the maker to choose the best steel for their application based upon the properties inherent in the steel chemistry. I have been working for a few years on this one and have broken the whole thing down into an easy to understand system based on what the knife will be used for and the amount of complexity of ones shop. One of the most common factors I hear in the steel choice of a new smith is that it is what they were told to use, but rarely do you get many details as to why they were told that, I would like to give smiths the power to make informed decisions based on the "whys" of which steel for which knife.
"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

#8 User is offline   BrionTomberlin 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Well obviously this is going to be a must attend Hammer In. J.R. I am looking forward to your presentation as I have been wanting to try this. Kevin I will have to empty out my brain so I can cram more stuff in. Daggers, steel, etching, cutting, this is going to be a winner. See you all there.
Brion
Brion Tomberlin
Anvil Top Custom Knives
ABS Mastersmith

#9 User is offline   Kyle Royer 

• Active Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationMountain View, MO

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

O boy! This one sounds like a BLAST!!! I'm going to make it a priority to try and be there for this. It's been a couple years since I've been to a good sized hammer-in. Too long...........no more! :D
Kyle Royer, Master Smith

#10 User is offline   BrionTomberlin 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

I look forward to seeing you Kyle. I think this will be a real winner.
Brion
Brion Tomberlin
Anvil Top Custom Knives
ABS Mastersmith

#11 User is offline   Cheyenne Walker 

• Advanced Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationHot Springs, AR.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

Has the schedule been decided yet?
Cheyenne Walker
Apprentice Smith

#12 User is offline   Dan Cassidy 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

I have not yet received a copy of the schedule for the Spring Piney Woods Hammer-In.

I receive the list of demonstrators and the schedule of events for hammer-ins from the individual ABS Hammer-In Coordinators assigned to each event and post it on the ABS Website and ABS Forum usually within hours of receipt.

Dan Cassidy

Send an email to Dan

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Dan Cassidy 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Please note that for all attendees that pay the registration fee by noon on Saturday of the event, their name will be placed in a drawing for the Master Smith J. R. Cook handmade hunting knife pictured below!

Attached Image
The blade is 5" in length and the fittings are stainless steel. The handle on this outstanding hunter is Maple.

Dan Cassidy

Send an email to Dan

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Steve Merritt 

• New Forum Member
  • Pip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

View PostABS Webmaster, on 15 March 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Please note that for all attendees that pay the registration fee by noon on Saturday of the event, their name will be placed in a drawing for the Master Smith J. R. Cook handmade hunting knife pictured below!

The blade is 5" in length and the fittings are stainless steel. The handle on this outstanding hunter is Maple.

I'am looking forward to it and getting some good training
Steve Merritt
Apprentice Smith

#15 User is offline   Michael_Baker 

• Active Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

I plan on attending my first hammer-in this weekend! Anyone know of a nice campground near the school? I'll be tent camping and would like water, electricity and a shower(that's for everyone elses benefit lol). Looking forward to meeting the names I see here all the time.

Michael
Michael Baker, Apprentice Smith

#16 User is offline   Dan Cassidy 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Michael

You should contact Master Smith JR Cook who is familiar with the area and will be a demonstrator. He should know about any camping information and has an email of jr@jrcookknives.com

This is a link to area camping, click: Camping Link

Enjoy the Hammer-in. It is a great demonstrator line up!

Dan Cassidy

Send an email to Dan

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Michael_Baker 

• Active Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Excellent! Thanks!
Michael Baker, Apprentice Smith

#18 User is offline   Dan Cassidy 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

This is the schedule for the Spring Piney Woods Hammer In. BR Hughes put together an outstanding program and wanted everyone to be able to see it before the event. It looks great, BR! And I am sure that Carolyn typed it for us. Thank you, Carolyn!

2012 SPRING PINEY WOODS
APRIL 28-29

SATURDAY

7:15 AM
Registration ($55.00) Classroom Porch

8:00 AM
Basic Forging - J. R. Cook - Shop
The Bowie Knife - James Batson - Classroom

10:00
Handles & Guards - Mike Williams - Classroom
Steel Selection - Kevin Cashen - Tent

12:00
Lunch (on your own)

1:00
Basic Grinding & Polishing - Williams - Shop
Heat Treat - Cashen - Classroom

3:15
Knife Show* - Gym

4:00
Auction ** - Gym

5:00
Dinner - Catered by Park $12.50- Gym

*Registration fee covers table fee

** Donations requested. Drawing for J. R. Cook Knife takes place (must register before 12:00 Saturday and be present at the drawing to win)

SUNDAY

8:00 AM
ABS Judging - B. R. Hughes &Williams - Classroom
Acid Etching - Cook - Shop

10:00
The Quillon Dagger - Cashen - Classroom
Damascus - Batson - Tent

12:00
Lunch (on your own)

1:15
Cutting Demo *** - Cook & Williams - School

*** Participate in the cutting demo. Knives should have blades no longer than 10”, no wider than 2”, and must have a pinned handle and a thong.

REGISTRATION FEE: $55.00

ACCOMMODATIONS IN HOPE, ARKANSAS (All are at I-30, Exit 30, North on US 278, N. Hervey St.)

BEST WESTERN 870-777-9222 (1800 Holiday Drive) (Hammer-In Staff stay here)

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS 870-722-6262 (2600 N. Hervey)

SUPER 8, 870-777-8601 (Holiday Drive)

Dan Cassidy

Send an email to Dan

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Mike Williams 

• Advanced Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationBroken Bow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Dan;
Thanks for the schedule. I get to sleep in!
The Piney Woods Hammer-In is this weekend. Bout the time we think we have plenty of time here it is.
For you guys who have never been but have thought about it; the ABS Hammer-Ins are a fantastic learning tool. The demo's; well what can you say? You get to learn from smiths who actually know, and can show you. They have been there, done that, have the divots to prove it.
And; something that a lot of folks don't take advantage of at hammer-ins is the person to person networking that you put together over the years. Around the hammer-in grounds and at the motel at night you see these little knots of people talking and laughing and it seems like they are just b.s. ing. Well they are, but also there is a constant exchange of information, little tricks, props, jigs, and sound advice from prople that you KNOW and TRUST. A give and take of years of experience.
The internet is a good thing but it cannot take the place of face to face interaction among people.
If you are new to the event and you are not sure if you fit in, don't sweat it. We were all brand new to this once upon a time.
Hint! If you see a door open at the motel; and people are setting there looking like knifemakers; the open door is an invitation to come in and visit. Maybe even share an adult beverage. That has been the tradition for at least the last twenty years or so. We all do it.
M
Mike Williams
Master Smith

#20 User is offline   Steve Culver 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationMeriden, KS

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

I want to echo what Mike said about the person to person networking. I'm as happy as anyone to see something interesting on the list of demonstrations. But, I don't go to these Hammer-Ins for the demos. I go to talk to other knifemakers. I have learned more about knifemaking from side conversations in motels rooms, across the lunch table and out in the yard than I have from the demos. Don't be a wall-flower. Introduce yourself, ask questions and keep your ears open. Every minute of these events is a learning opportunity.

Sorry that I'm not going to be able to make it down this spring. Ya'll have a great time and learn a lot!!
Steve Culver
ABS Master Bladesmith
Blade Show Table 11-S
steve@culverart.com
www.culverart.com

www.kansasknives.org

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users