American Bladesmith Society Forum: Introducing Myself - American Bladesmith Society Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Introducing Myself Clay Walker Saying Hello to the Forum

#1 User is offline   Lowell_Walker 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationVancouver, Washington
  • ABS Rating:Apprentice Smith

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

Hello,

I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Clay Walker ( First name Lowell ). I recently joined the ABS after some gentle prodding by MS Lin Rhea. I intend to pursue and test for the JS stamp in the three year time frame. I started out my forging efforts by taking a basic blacksmithing class, followed by a damascus steel class, and a knife making class from Nick Marcella of Red Troll Forge in Vancouver, Wa. I decided it was time to quite playing around and get serious. I plan to pursue my JS testing in the three year time frame and the MS testing within 4 years of obtaining a JS stamp. My goals are two fold. I want to take my steel working and knife making skills to the MS level, and in that process create a retirement job for myself. I figure if I do this for 20 years I should have all the tools I need to retire and enjoy the process of forging high quality knives.

I have been reading thru the forum threads and have already learned a lot of things that will improve my knives. To date I have focused my forging efforts on the 1080 and 1090 series of steels. After reading thru the threads here I picked up a good quantity of 5160 steel and intend to start working thru the test blade forging and heat treating process to make a blade that will survive the test. After I get that down I plan to start working on the various steps I need to improve on to sucessfully make the five presentation blades that will pass the JS test.

I look forward to conversing with and learning everything I can from everyone on the forum.

Clay Walker
Ragnarok Forge

#2 User is online   Dan Cassidy 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationColorado Rockies
  • ABS Rating:Journeyman Smith

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

Clay

Welcome to the American Bladesmith Society! I am glad that you have found the ABS Forum to be a useful source of information and wish you the best in your quest for the Journeyman Smith rating.

Dan Cassidy
ABS Webmaster and Forum Administrator

Send an email to Dan

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   BrionTomberlin 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationNorman, Oklahoma
  • ABS Rating:Master Smith

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

Hello Clay and welcome. Knowing Lin it was probably more than gentle prodding. We are glad to have you.

Sounds like you have your goals in order and are going about it the right way. Anything we can do to help just let us know.

Welcome again.

Brion
Brion Tomberlin
Anvil Top Custom Knives
ABS Mastersmith

#4 User is offline   Lin Rhea 

• Advanced Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationPrattsville, Arkansas
  • ABS Rating:Master Smith

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:19 AM

Welcome Clay!

Brian, all I did was offer a little "encouragement" ;) .
Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith
Email me
www.rheaknives.com

#5 User is offline   Jeremy Lindley 

• Advanced Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationSouthwest Idaho

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Clay! Good to see you on here. For those of you who don't know Clay, you're missing out. When I expressed interest in learning to forge, Clay invited me over, put me up for the weekend, and showed me the basics and I left with my first knife. I don't think he's ever met a stranger and is willing to help with whatever he can. Anyway, just figured I'd put in my .02 cents and say my piece-Clay's a heck of a guy and exemplifies what the ABS is about. Getting off my soap box now..... ;)
Jeremy Lindley, Apprentice Smith

#6 User is offline   Lowell_Walker 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

Jeremy, thanks for the kind words. I am glad we got the chance to meet and form a friendship that I am sure will last a lifetime. I meant what I said about coordinating our testing for JS and sharing costs to travel to Blade or the Winter show. 3 years is not that long of a time. The pressure is on!

Jeremy is a fine gentlemen, highly intelligent, a true family man, and places himself at risk to serve the public in his work. I truly enjoyed teaching the basics of forging and assisting him with making his first knife.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users